Basic tomato sauce for pasta – Clara’s recipe
Each region in Italy has its favourite pasta sauce, my Mom Clara says that her sauce is the best and I cannot dispute that, so here goes:
- 1 whole onion peeled, push 6 cloves pushed randomly into it
- 4 tins Italian tomatoes or 1 cup of tomatoe puree
- 1 tablespoon tomato paste
- 1 pork chop (with bone)
- 2 pieces of free range chicken (thigh and drum stick)
- 1 celery stalk
- a few basil leaves
- 2 cloves garlic
- 3 tablespoons Olive oil
- 1 tablespoon butter
- 1 medium strength chili – according to taste
- 1 cup of red or white wine is optional
- Grated Parmesan Cheese
Tip: It is best to take defrosted meat out of fridge 1 hr before you start. The meat needs to be at room temperature before cooking.
Heat oil and butter in a saucepan, season and add meat so that the meat seals and heats through completely before adding all the other ingredients.
- Add tinned tomatoes, tomato puree, tomatoe paste, onion, garlic, celery, chili and let simmer for 1 to 2 hours.
- When your Sauce is ready add basil. Cook your Home Made Pasta in a big pot of boiling water, 4 to 5 min and the pasta it ready. Drain (remember to keep some of your pasta water aside just in case your sauce is too thick).
- Once pasta is drained, add sauce and parmisan cheese. Mix well and serve adding extra sauce if desired.
Voilà̀ ….. The pasta is ready to be eaten. Now add as much parmesan as you enjoy!